Tuesday, April 15, 2014

God's Not Dead

There is a movie currently showing in the US entitled "God's Not Dead." It is a very interesting movie based on a challenge on a college campus. The professor declares that "God IS dead," and requires everyone in the class to make the same declaration. One student however is not willing to make such a declaration. He is a Christian and refuses to go along with this professor's demands. The professor than challenges him to prove that God exists, a challenge which the student reluctantly accepts. Along with this main storyline, there are several smaller story lines all dealing with how different people in the community are walking or not walking in faith.

As I was watching the film I put myself in each character's shoes. How would I have responded if my boyfriend would have said that? Would I have had the courage to stand up to my father? Would I have been willing to stand up in front of my class and discuss my faith? I would like to think that I would have handled all of those situations with nothing but renewed strength in Jesus, but I am really not sure.

I have also been thinking about how I might react to someone declaring that God IS dead. How do I KNOW that God is NOT dead? How do I pass this knowledge onto my children, so that they know that God is not dead?

How do I KNOW that God is NOT dead? Well, that is an easy one. God has been active in my life for as long as I can remember. I truly believe that He allowed unpredictable things to happen which caused us to leave two hours later than we were suppose to.....thus missing a multi car, multi death accident on the very road we would be driving. I have no doubt that He breathed life and health into our young child that was born not breathing and with no pulse. After ten minutes of medical personnel trying to get her to breathe on her own, she did and has no side affects whatsoever. The addition of our last two children can only be explained by a wonderful working of God's Hand. There have been so many challenges, roadblocks, roads never traveled before and legal situations that they should never have entered our doors. However, God made a way and they are here. They are part of our everyday, they are part of our family and they are part of our life. God has filled my life with many more situations like these, it is simply amazing! I am amazed by the love, mercy and grace God shows me and our family every single day!

Those are great experiences, but are they enough to help my children or others to believe that God is alive and well? I don't think so. My faith is very important to me, but that doesn't automatically transfer to others. If we are completely honest with ourselves, the Holy Spirit is the one who develops faith in a person. Anyone can read the Bible, but if the Holy Spirit isn't guiding them, they are simply reading words on a page. Anyone can go to church, but if the Holy Spirit isn't opening their heart and mind, they are just listening to random speeches and music. I need to admit that although I have great influence over our children and their faith, I have no control.

Our number one goal as a family, is to have our children come to saving faith in Jesus Christ, to know Him as their Savior, Redeemer and Friend. Since I have no real control over their faith development, I try to provide as many opportunities as possible for the Holy Spirit to work in their lives. Part of the plan includes attending Worship regularly, praying daily, having family devotions, and serving others.   We also encourage our children to have personal devotion time by providing them resources, asking questions and modeling the importance of this time. I know other families that utilize Christian summer camps, Christian music concerts, Christian magazines for children, Vacation Bible Schools, Awana clubs and youth groups. There are many great resources available for you and your family to help your child and others around you grow in their faith and KNOW that God is NOT dead, I think the key is consistency and being completely open on how God is working in your life everyday. God IS alive and well and working in your life on a daily basis, all you need to do is let others see His work in you.

No comments: