Thursday, December 5, 2013

Holding Strong

The past few weeks have found my husband and I trying to explain convictions. I am not sure if you have ventured down this road with your children, but it has not been the easiest road for us to travel. It seems that as our children age they truly want to understand why we choose to do the things we do. This is a wonderful stage, but it is not always easy for me to explain.

When you check with dictionary.com, it states that "conviction" is the state of being convinced and/or  a fixed or firm belief. The choices that my husband and I make for our family, and I assume the choices you make for your family are based on "convictions," or beliefs. You believe in investing in your child and guiding them as they grow.

Most of the convictions that my husband and I are basing our decisions on are from our study of the Bible. When we read the scriptures, spend time in prayer or participate in a Bible Study, there are often times when is seems the Spirit is giving us a clear direction that He would like for our family to take.

As our children spend more time with friends and in activities they have more questions. Why do we only listen to Christian music? Why aren't we allowed to watch THAT television show? Why do we celebrate this holiday, but not that one? Why can't I go to this or that party? For we all know that "everybody else is" able to do whatever it is we are not allowing.

No family is going to be the same. Even if we go to the same church, live in the same neighborhood and use the same curriculum. Each of us have our own convictions and our own ideas of what is best for our children. What might work well for your family, might not work well for any other family.

These are God's children and we will need to answer for our choices....I believe that it was God's plan to give us the exact children that we have. He knew that each child would help us grow as parents and Christians, and that they would influence each other's walk in the best way to strengthen each of our children's faith. Each and everyday He calls me to be the best parent I can be and point my children to a lifelong relationship with Him. It is not my responsibility to parent every child in the neighborhood, at our church or on my daughter's team. However, it is my responsibility to make the best choices for our children. I don't know why I have a strong conviction to raise our children one way and you have a strong conviction to do something different, all I know is that it is important to do what you feel God is calling you to. He truly knows best! He knows each family and the different things that make them unique and stronger.

This idea of conviction and trying to follow God's will is not always easy for us to explain to our kiddos, but it is still very important. It is hard sometimes for our children to see their friends acting in ways that they cannot, but when I remember our goals for their lives, our most important goal is to help them develop a lasting faith and relationship with Jesus, I know a short time of disappointment is necessary and of little consequence when compared to an eternity with Christ.

I don't expect these days of questioning to end anytime soon. Let us encourage one another as we hold strong to the convictions God has laid on our hearts. Be strong and courageous, for the Lord will be with us where ever we go! (especially on this rocky path of parenting)

No comments: