Sunday, December 22, 2013

More Than We Can Handle

A few weeks back there was an article floating around the social media networks that talked about the "fuzzy" Christian phrases that are often used. The article spoke of the phrases that Christians often use when ministering to others. You know: "let go and let God;" "prayer changes things;" "whenever God closes a door, somewhere He opens a window;" "God never gives you more than you can handle;" and so forth. Why I completely agree that these phrases can not be used with, nor do they have any meaning for non-Christians, the contents of the article has been bothering me for weeks.

The phrase "God never gives you more than you can handle," took a beating in this article. The author talked about the phrase very negatively, claimed it had no biblical merit and how insulting it is for those that are suffering. Again, for someone without a personal relationship with Christ, this phrase makes no sense. It almost sounds like God is torturing His followers....never pushing them too far past their breaking point.  I don't know about you, but I would probably run far away from a God I thought was torturing His followers. However, because of my faith in Christ, I believe and support this phrase as one that challenges me and comforts me during my journey on this earth.

First, let's look at the Bible for a moment:
  Job 42:2 "I know you can do all things; no purpose of yours will be thwarted."
  Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."
  Genesis 50:20 "You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives."
  Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
  Ecc. 11:5 "As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in the mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things."
  Psalm 37:4 "Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
  Ephesians 3:20 "Now to Him that is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us,"
These are just a few verses that I could recall quickly to support my opinion, but all of them seem to be telling us that God is not going to give us more than He will help us handle. Also, in all my reading of scripture over my lifetime I don't recall a single verse that states God will leave us during our hardest struggle or provide no guidance through a tough situation. Joshua 1:5 is one more verse, and it clearly states "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

I want to encourage you today to hold fast to the promises God has given to you. When our circumstances seem unbearable, may we all remember that God's ways are higher then our own. We may not be able to see what He is working on at this moment. We may only see the hurt and difficulty, but God has something greater planned for each and every one of us. Let me challenge you to put your full trust in God, in His plan and His power. Do not be fooled by those who speak against God's plan or try to limit Him by your circumstances....He loves you, knows what is best for all of us and sees a much bigger picture. It probably won't look like the picture in the magazine or on TV, but we are living for the Kingdom, not for this world.

My daughter has a friend who was killed about two years ago. I would never presume to know how her mother feels or the pain that she goes through on a regular basis. But I do know that her mother is allowing God to work through these circumstances and she is being used to change lives. Her daughter's organs have helped at least six people and her daughter's foundation has blessed hundreds. She may never wake in the morning and not long for her daughter, but she is not defeated. She is allowing God's strength, peace and compassion guide her on this new journey He has laid in front of her....holding fast to the knowledge that God will never leave her nor forsake her.

I hope you will join me in firmly believing and trusting that God will not give us more than we can handle!


No comments: