Monday, July 22, 2013

Noticing the Need

This weekend in Worship, our pastor was telling us how for many years he simple did not notice the need. He gave this example: "I could see someone with their arms full, carrying many things and approaching a door. I would simply think to myself, 'why didn't they choose to carry less stuff?' I would not even think about opening the door. It was just not an idea that would even cross my mind."

This idea has me thinking. I am usually a pretty observant person, and when faced with the situation the pastor described, I would typically open the door. However, I am sure there have been times that I haven't noticed the needs of those around me. I can become consumed with my day to day and forget to look outside my small box to see what those near me might be needing. What about you?

What needs might we be missing? Our their needs in our family, needs in our neighborhood or needs in our congregation that we can meet? We might not have a great deal of money, but we can still meet needs. Maybe we have some extra clothing or toys that we are being led to share. Maybe we can make a loaf of bread, meal or dessert for a friend. Maybe what they need is for us to simply watch their children for a few hours. It could be that we know someone that needs some encouragement or just to hear a cheerful voice; let's take a moment to write them a note or give them a call. I can meet many needs without spending much money at all.

First, we need to notice the needs. How can we help with needs we don't know exist? There are some simple steps we can take to notice the needs. One of the most effective steps is to simply listen. When we ask people "How are you doing?," we need to take the time to actually listen to an answer instead of just expecting a "fine. How are you?" The church office is also a good place to check for needs. They are often aware of many needs members of your congregation might have or needs that the church itself might have. Maybe you could sit in the nursery for an hour once a month and meet the needs of many parents and children during worship. Another idea is to enlist help. I will ask the kids what they have seen or heard and whom they think we should help. (they always seem to have at least one idea, I think it might be because there are 5 of them and only 1 of me)

No matter what you do to notice needs or to fill someone's need, let me encourage you to include your children. Help them to notice needs and see how easy it can be to fill some of them. Most children I know love to help and they love to feel like they are doing something important for someone else. We can train them to notice needs at a young age and they can have a lifetime of helping with the needs of others. What an amazing blessing for them, you and the people you serve!

No comments: