Monday, July 29, 2013

Overlook An Offense

A person’s wisdom yields patience;
    it is to one’s glory to overlook an offense. Proverbs 19:11

Wow, I couldn't have read this verse at a better time. It seems these days our children have become experts at pointing out the "offenses" of others. My days are now filled with reports on how little brother did this and big sister did that and dad did this and so on. It has become quite annoying.

When I read this verse, I knew this was the next verse for our family. We all needed to ask God for wisdom so that we might be more patient with each other. This patience would then help us overlook the tiny offenses that seem to be occupying our days. 

Or at least, that was the plan. It seems that everyone understood the concept of asking for patience and looking over offenses. However, there seems to be a disconnect between our ability to listen to the idea and our ability to act on the idea. This is going to be a journey!

So, we have decided to take a few steps:
-try to solve small arguments on our own
-try to set a good example for others
-pray each day for God to help us overlook small offenses
-T.H.I.N.K. before we speak (True, Helpful, Important, Necessary, Kind)

I know that we have a long journey ahead of us, but I know that with God's help we will make significant progress on supporting one another and looking over small offenses. Let me encourage you to take a great verse this week and help your children see how they can apply God's truth to their lives.  

No comments: