Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Doing What You're Doing


The fall weather is amazing where we live and fall is my favorite season. We love to do outside activities in the fall....bike rides, pick pumpkins and apples, campfires, jumping in leaves and so much more.

We recently transitioned from carrying the youngest two kiddos in a pull behind trailer to having one in the trailer and one sit on a tag along bike behind my husband. It is an exciting transition and a great addition to our bike rides.

 Our last bike ride has given me pause for thought. As our family is going up and down the hills in our community, my husband would yell back to our son when he should stop peddling or start peddling. At one point along the trip the little man yells back, "I'm just doing what you're doing daddy!" He continued to yell out along the trip, "I'm peddling like you now" or "I'm waiting just like you."

What great phrases! How humbling to know that our children are watching our steps and trying to copy what we do. This can be great when they copy the positive things we do. I love when I see our children  helping, praying, singing, or sharing like we have modeled. However, it can be extremely eye opening when they copy the negative things we do. When they say phrases or words maybe we shouldn't say or act in a way we would of hoped they wouldn't. These times can be embarrassing for us and confusing for our children who may not know why we are angry at them for doing exactly what we have done.

Many years ago when I was teaching at a neighborhood Christian school a young girl said a swear word. The other children in line were shocked and told me about the offense right away. The girl had very strong feelings and was convinced she had said nothing wrong. "My dad says that word all the time, it is not a swear." I had the young girl whisper the word in my ear and indeed it was a swear word. I explained that she didn't know what she was saying and that she wouldn't say it anymore, and we went on with class. I still remember the hurt look on her face, she was crushed, confused, humbled and sad.

Let me encourage you today to take a look at your child's behaviors. Are they simply doing what you are doing? As parents, we are our child's first and most influential teacher. I pray that we all make decisions and give examples that are worthy of Christ's high calling on our lives. May we act in ways that bring God the glory when our little ones (or not so little ones) copy what we are doing.

No comments: