Saturday, August 10, 2013

Practical Mom Idea

Every once in awhile our family does something that gets people talking, sometimes it is good, sometimes it is not so good. Anyway, since others are finding this idea helpful I thought I would share it with you...my great group of readers. I hope you find it helpful!

We live in a fairly small town. It is great! There is a fun little ice cream place in town that is the "place to be." You can imagine that with a family of nine, we don't go out very often, but we like to go for ice cream at least once a month. This little shop has tons of stuff: slushies, cones, sundaes, malts, shakes and candy mixers; almost anything one would want. Again with a family our size even a trip for ice cream can become an extremely expensive adventure. So, we came up with this plan.

Each person in the family receives one dollar to spend at the store (this will get you a cone or slushy). Now if any person would like to have something besides a slushy or cone (there are 6 flavors to choose from), they may contribute their own money. For example, if you would like a dipped cone which costs $1.25 you would need to give me 25 cents or if you want a sundae or shake, you would give me 75 cents. This allows each person in the family the option to get whatever they want and at the same time gives mom and dad a reasonable budget. We went to the ice cream shop tonight, our family spent $15 with the children contributing $3.25.

There are a few things I really like about this plan. First, I love that there is no whining. Everyone is able to get what they want, no one can say "that's not fair." I love the fact that my children are thinking through their choices. Do I want to spend my own money? How much money do I have and how much do I want to spend today? I love that I can take my family for a treat and keep it on a budget while still letting everyone pick whatever they want from the menu.

This is a simple idea, but it works great for our family. I hope you can use this concept and apply it in a way that enhances your family fun. I would love to hear a practical idea you have that might bless us all!

No comments: