Sunday, April 14, 2013

Can You Handle It?

I have heard people refer to Christianity as a crouch, saying that only the weak believe that they need a God to do something they do everyday. I have also been told personally how foolish I am to not use my commonsense, when I make a choice to trust God fully in a situation. I read posts and/or articles almost everyday about how raising children in a Christian home is almost tragic....people talking about how my children are brainwashed and have no freedom. I have been insulted, judged and threatened by medical personnel who feel their quick solutions are better than what my research and scriptures say.

This week I was struggling with a situation where my beliefs were once again being called into question, where I was once again being challenged by someone "smarter" than I. Thankfully I had some time to pray, read and consider my options before needing to give a final response to this challenge. One of the books I was reading was written by Stormie Omartian and while reading I came across this quote, "If you think you can handle all God has for you to do ON YOUR OWN, then you are thinking TOO SMALL." (emphasis mine) That quote jumped off the page and truly inspired me.

If I think that I can handle all that God has for me to do in my lifetime by my own strength, then I am not thinking big enough. God's plans are greater than all I could ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20). My plans might be good, and I might do my best to raise a family for His glory, but if I am trusting in my own strength I may not experiencing all God has for us. He is able to do immeasurably more than all I can ask or imagine.

I want you to know that the situation I was struggling with when I read this quote has worked out great. God used another person to influence the person that was pressuring me. He used this other person to influence the situation so much that I didn't even need to make a decision. My beliefs were honored, my family was safe and I didn't even have to defend myself. He had the entire situation completely under His control.

Let me encourage you today to look at your life and the plans you have for your family. Are you allowing God to think big ideas or are you handling the situation and keeping the ideas small? Do you need extra strength to follow the path you know He has for you? Please, be encouraged and know that God's plans are greater than all you could ask or imagine. Pray about it, and allow Him to handle the situations and do Great things through you and your family! Don't handle it on your own He is planning BIG!

No comments: