Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Freedom for Fun!

As I look out the window this morning, I am in the middle of a beautiful winter wonderland. We were blessed yesterday with about 6 inches of new snow. The scene outside looks like a painting...snow covered trees, crisp white blankets of snow on the yard, very clean and new. There is one thing that I noticed however, something is missing. This morning as I look at the snow, I think FUN is missing. There is no sign of fun, no sign that five kiddos live in this home, no sign that anyone lives in the house actually.

Reflecting on the snow this morning has made me see that I need to remember to take some time for fun. We get very busy with our schooling, chores, volunteering and responsibilities that I think we often miss the gift that God has given us. Yes, I just called snow a gift. I remember when I was young and how the snow seemed to call to me. It didn't matter if the sidewalk was shoveled, I would walk in the deep banks of snow. It didn't matter if our sled was broken, I would use a box or garbage can lid. My favorite thing was finding a crisp, clean patch of snow and try to make a perfect snow angel with no footprints or blemishes. (getting up is the hard part) I loved the snow! I am not sure I am passing that love of snow to my children. Maybe today we will work at having some fun in the snow.

I wonder what else I once loved, or got real excited about that no longer seems fun. What types of messages are we sending to our children? Do my children think that I enjoy being a mom? Do our children think their father loves his work? Do our children see our excitement for worshipping God and studying His Word? I know that I want them to "see" me loving being a mom and having fun in my relationship with Christ. I want them to have fun in their relationship with Christ.

Today I give myself permission to have fun. Fun in the snow, fun being a mom and fun growing in Christ. The freedom is there, I just simply need to embrace it. Excuse me now, I am going to go make a snow angel.

No comments: