Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Learning At A Step Stool

There is a small step stool in our kitchen to help our younger children reach items that they need. This stool has now become one of our 10 month old's favorite items. The other night an interesting exchange happened at the stool between our son and my husband. Let me invite you into our kitchen to experience it for yourself.

My husband and I were chatting about the day around the kitchen island. Our little one came crawling into the kitchen from the other room. He looked at his father, giggled and then crawled right past him to the step stool. As his little hand touched the bottom of the stool he glanced my way and smiled. He pulled himself up so that he was standing in front of the stool using the top platform as his stabilizer. He turned his head and looked at each of us. Then, he lifted his right foot and placed his shin on the lowest step of the stool. "No, no little man, " my husband says. Without looking back at his father, he puts his foot back on the ground. About two seconds later the scene repeats, each time our infant takes longer to put his foot back on the ground. At one point I could almost visually see our little guy thinking about whether he would obey his father or continue to climb the step stool. After about 4 minutes of boundary testing, the little man finally leaves the stool and heads to empty a cupboard.

As I was watching this exchange between father and son, I couldn't help but see the parallel between me and my Heavenly Father. How many times do I crawl toward something I want, something I know is fun; but my Father in heaven is calling from behind me..."no, no little girl?" Although I know that God has the best plan for my life and that He loves me more than any earthly parent ever could, I still desire to go my own way. How often do I keep my hand on the "step stool?" Why do I take so long to heed the warnings of my Father?

When we are close to a situation it is often difficult for us to see the big picture. Our son only sees a fun stool to climb on and play with. He doesn't see how his fingers could get pinched or how he could hit his head after falling. Our teen only sees that "all" of their friends are attending the event on Friday. They don't see the scars and hurt that attending such an event will leave on their heart and mind. Sometimes even I only see what I want to see and don't see the loving protection that God has provided for me. Sometimes.....I forget, and think that I know what is best for me. Sometimes...we all need to remember that just as my husband loves our son and gives him gentle reminders to keep him safe; God loves each one of us and He too sends us gentle reminders when we are heading in unsafe directions. The question now becomes, "Will we listen?"

No comments: